The Astros are near the halfway point in their 2016 Spring Training and while there have been many things happening as expected, it must be stated that there are a few surprises to date.
Some items that may be seen as surprises to this point:
- The Astros 2015 were led in HRs (27) and RBIs (88) by Evan Gattis, who is recovering from hernia surgery and has not played to date. The team has clicked along as though they don’t miss him. (Fill in your own funny retort at this point).
- Jeff Luhnow said that while 1B was Jon Singleton’s to lose, that there would be an open competition for the spot. The surprise here is that he has been true to his word and Singleton, Tyler White and A.J. Reed have all had significant time in the lineup at 1B and DH…..with varying degrees of success.
- That outside those three 1B candidates, who have appeared in between 10 and 12 games to date, the players who have appeared in the most games have been Colin Moran, Tony Kemp, Andrew Aplin and Eury Perez.
- That in 12 ABs through the Ides of March, Jason Castro has the same amount of hits (3) as all the other catchers in camp have had in 40 ABs.
- That the team would be led by Marwin Gonzalez with 4 HRs so far this spring.
- That Jandel Gustave would have a 0.00 ERA and 3 saves and closer-heir apparent Ken Giles would have a 9.00 ERA and 0 saves.
- That Dallas Keuchel would have pitched spotlessly to this point giving up 2 hits and no runs in 5 IP – oh, wait a minute, wrong list.
- That Wandy Rodriguez would be pitching (2.25 ERA / .625 WHIP) as though he should be considered for a spot on the 25 man with Lance McCullers starting the season off on the DL.
- That Jose Altuve would gather 3 walks in one game.
Anything that has surprised you to date or anything on the above list that has not surprised you to date?