Just some random thoughts in the middle of the Astros 2016 Spring Training….
- The shoulder soreness reported on young Lance McCullers Jr. forces one’s mind immediately to the big innings increase his 21 year old arm experienced last season. Is his soreness due to overwork in 2015 or just a little early ST problem?
- The LMJ injury brings to the forefront how smart the reasonably priced pickup of Doug Fister was. Five starters is never enough and that wise move may be an early season savior for this team.
- Does the Spring Training shakiness of Ken Giles mean anything as he has given up runs in each of his 3 appearances?
- With Giles struggling and Luke Gregerson yet to take the mound is there a Plan C for the closer spot? Probably not.
- Could the 1B/DH situation be going any better for the fans? Gattis is still out, Singleton is as bad as ever and Reed and White are ripping the ball as advertised.
- Colin Moran may not make the team, but Valbuena has to be on a short leash as Moran looks ready to be the 3B soon.
- Has the team ever had this situation before where they come to ST with a winning team, but also with so much talent a phone call away?
What are your thoughts with the Astros a couple weeks into Spring Training?