This subject was broached mid-season last year…
The Astros have built their quality pitching staff with mostly parts from other regions. Look at what the Astros playoff roster might look like after “the move” happens this week.
- Justin Verlander. Obtained by trade (signed thru 2021)
- Gerrit Cole. Obtained by trade (signed thru 2019)
- Wade Miley. Signed as free agent (signed thru 2019)
- Mystery Guest #4 (Let’s say this is Zack Wheeler – signed thru 2019)
- Brad Peacock. Obtained by trade (Controlled by arbitration thru 2020)
- Roberto Osuna. Obtained by trade (Controlled by arbitration thru 2021)
- Ryan Pressly. Obtained by trade (Signed thru 2022)
- Will Harris. Picked up off waivers (Signed thru 2019)
- Collin McHugh. Picked up off waivers (Signed thru 2019)
- Chris Devenski. Obtained by trade (Controlled by arbitration thru 2021)
- Josh James. Drafted by the Astros (Controlled thru 2024)
- Hector Rondon. Signed as free agent (signed thru 2019)
- Jose Urquidy. Signed as international free agent (Controlled thru at least 2024)
A few quick observations that are nothing special….
- The Astros pitching staff (in contrast to their everydays) is almost entirely built from the outside. Yes, they used their pitching prospects to bring in both pitchers and everyday players. But straight out the best pitcher they have developed themselves the last few years is Lance McCullers Jr. who is unfortunately out after TJ surgery
- In some ways – Devenski, who has never pitched for another major league team and McHugh, Peacock and Harris who did not pitch successfully or long for other major league teams were “developed” by this organization. And obviously Pressly, Verlander, Cole and Miley all have thrived in this atmosphere beyond what they were doing when they left their last gig.
- Like on the old Ed Sullivan show – how long can they keep all these spinning plates rotating on their sticks? Six of the mentioned pitchers could be gone by the end of this season including three starters. Will the Astros finally have youngsters step up or will they continue to find a Charlie Morton or Wade Miley in the discount bin?