A few games past the halfway point of the season, there are a lot of interesting story lines related to the Astros and as many questions as answers.
The team after a rousing end to the first half of the season sits 7-1/2 games behind a slightly floundering Texas Rangers club. They are also 1 game behind the second wild card and 1-1/2 games back of the first wild card.
- Can they catch the Rangers for the division crown in the next 3 months?
- Would it be disappointing to end up with a better record than 2015, but end up in the WC play-in game again?
The AL MVPs are often Josh Donaldson type sluggers, but…..in 2008 it was 2nd baseman Dustin Pedroia, who was a hitting, run scoring, doubling machine. This season Jose Altuve is at or near the top in many categories in the AL, first in BA and hits, 2nd in SBs, 3rd in 2Bs, OBP and OPS and 4th in runs scored…..
- What does Jose need to do to win this award in 2016?
- More importantly, what does the club need to do for Jose to win this award?
Altuve, George Springer and Carlos Correa are both right at the 50 RBI mark as the second half of the season gets under way. The last 100 RBI guy for the Astros was the much maligned Carlos Lee – 102 RBI in 2009.
- Of these three, who will make it to 100 RBIs, if any of them make it this season?
If the Astros make the Wild Card play-in game this season, who would be their starting pitcher?
- A rejuvenated, Keuchel?
- Captain McHook, Collin McHugh?
- The K Man – Lance McCullers (11.2 K/ 9 IP)?
- Staff leader in W’s the recently fading Doug Fister?
- Mr. NoNo Mike Fiers?
- A staff ace to be acquired at the trade deadline?
If one of the Astros’ starters went down for an extended time who would you want in his place?
With Tony Sipp being Mr. Hittable this season, what is the Astros best bet for facing left handed hitters?
- Send out their best right handed pitcher, Will Harris?
- Choose from Feliz, Devenski, Luke Gregerson or Ken Giles?
- Trade for a left handed specialist?
- Look to the minors?
A number of Astros got off to poor early season starts in 2016 and bounced back to varying degrees.
- Who is most critical to the Astros in the second half – Jason Castro, Evan Gattis, Carlos Gomez of Luis Valbuena?
Any other questions you would like to throw out there for consideration?