Free Blog Weekend: What are the chances?
The Friday tradition returns with a Free Blog Weekend where you are free to discuss anything on your mind heading into the final weekend before the All Star break. Of course, you already do an excellent job of keeping the conversation going during the other days of the week, but today you are given permission…..
And in case you need some fodder to chew on and expand upon, here are some conversation starters under the heading “What are the Chances”.
What are the chances….
- That Luis Valbuena would be leading this team in home runs at this part of the season? It is likely that he would have been considered lucky to break into the top four on the club ahead of Evan Gattis, Chris Carter, George Springer or Colby Rasmus before the season began.
- That Chris Carter would be batting .190, yet still leading the team in walks at 43? His major league leading 114 Ks will be discussed at another time.
- That Will Harris, selected off waivers from the D’Backs this off-season, would be leading the team with a 0.91 ERA?
- That Collin McHugh would have the 38th best ERA (4.54) among AL qualifiers, but would be tied for fourth in wins with nine?
- That the Astros would be fifth in the league with 4.44 runs/game, while sporting a 13th best .242 BA and an 11th best .308 OBP?
- That the Astros would be leading their division despite their starting pitching having a mediocre 4.00 ERA?
- That the Astros would be successful despite having no batter with a .300 or over batting average?
- That the Astros would be leading their division despite all the starting pitchers not named Dallas Keuchel or Collin McHugh totalling 12 wins at the break?
- Is this half season plus success a house of cards, smoke and mirrors or a mirage in the desert? Or is it real?
- Is there anything you can’t believe is happening with this club?
- Is there any doubt that A.J. Hinch is the leader in the AL Manager of the Year race?
- What other subject would you like to talk about heading into this crucial weekend in Tampa for the big club?