As I morph older and older, I find that I am turning into my parents. Good people living in a world that is not catering to them. Sometimes it is the gazillion ways people choose to be “social” these days, though I assume that anyplace that tosses you because they don’t like your opinion is not that social.
Other times it is the way that folks choose to be entertained. My wife, son and I watch most things that we have DVR’d on cable or selected from a vast collection of DVDs. I know, I know, I can subscribe here and there and have someone else store what I want. Of course, then I am at their mercy of what they actually let me access at the time I want to access it. And the way the world is going, they might choose to toss me off their “service” for not being aligned with their agendas. No, if I want to watch 12 Angry Men tonight, I can watch it tonight (if I can find it in my vast collection of DVDs, but that is another problem for another post).
And then there is this deal with the new movies being created for entertainment. It seems that for every movie made with an adult theme and real human interaction, there are a hundred made about this or that superhero, any possible combination of those superheroes, and, of course, an infinite number of sequels or prequels to milk as many as possible from the same basic ideas and CGI. There is something called multi-verse involved, but I neither have tried to understand that term nor have the inkling to understand it.
So, today the focus of this post will be a Multi, I understand. Multi-choice. Please enjoy and chime in….
- What happens when the next starting pitcher (likely Jake Odorizzi) returns?
- The Astros go back to the six-man rotation they were featuring when he left
- They go to a five-man rotation and move Jose Urquidy to the long-man role in the bullpen
- They go to a five-man rotation and send Urquidy down to work on his “stuff.”
- They go to a six-man rotation – move Urquidy to the long man role and bring up Hunter Brown (3-3, 2.39 ERA, 12.7 K/9 IP) to be the sixth man
- If Jake Meyers (just 4 games into rehab at Sugar Land) gets rolling in AAA and gets called up, what do the Astros do:
- Have him take Chas McCormick’s typically starting role and move Chas into Jose Siri’s fourth OF role. Send Siri down
- Leave Chas as is and have Jake take Siri’s 4th OF spot. Send Siri down
- Keep Siri (God no) and send Chas down
- Package one of the three in a trade for help
- What happens when the “other” starting pitcher returns (likely Lance McCullers)?
- Move Cristian Javier back to the long-man spot in the bullpen
- Move Jake Odorizzi back to the long-man spot in the bullpen
- Give Justin Verlander a two-week vacation with a hang nail or something
- Trade from your excess for a catcher who can chew gum and walk at the same time. Sorry, I meant field and hit
- Who are the Astros most likely All Stars this season?
- Yordan Alvarez and Justin Verlander
- Alvarez, Verlander and Kyle Tucker
- Alvarez, Verlander and Framber Valdez
- Alvarez, Verlander, Tucker and Valdez
- Those four plus Rafael Montero
- If Enmanuel Valdez does turn out to be the real deal – batting .356 over two minor league levels this season, what do the Astros do with him?
Warning Will Robinson – the .356 is almost exactly .100 pts higher than Valdez’s minor league career average.
- Teach him another position, like left field, so he can step into Michael Brantley’s boots next season.
- Groom him to take the place of Aledmys Diaz as the next Swiss Army Knife on the team
- Groom him to take Yuli Gurriel’s spot over at 1st base as Yuli’s hitting declines
- Have him ready if Bregman or Altuve need replacing (aw c’mon – just trying to fill out 4 choices)
- What is more likely this season….
- Verlander wins the AL Cy Young
- Alvarez wins the AL MVP
- Jeremy Pena wins the AL Rookie of the Year
- Some combination of those
Note I did not include Dusty for Manager of the Year, but you can….
- If the Astros make a splash in the trade market between now and the deadline, what will it be?
- They pick up a real-life two-way catcher
- They pick up a solid outfielder
- They pick up a left-handed reliever
- Some combination of those
- No big trade
- Who is most likely to bounce back from a poor start to the season?
- Yuli Gurriel
- Jose Urquidy
So, the next step is up to you. This post is about our heroes and Multi-choice, not superheroes and Multi-Verse, but please give it a try.