Our previous post allowed you to chime in what you would rather happen between a couple baseball-related options. Today we twist that a little and ask you what you think will happen with a number of baseball questions going forward.
- Carlos Correa is offered 10 yrs/$290 MM by a pennant contender like the Los Angeles Dodgers and is also offered 10 yrs/$300 MM by a not yet contender like the Detroit Tigers. Which one does he take?
- It is the end of February and a good chunk of Spring Training has been missed. The baseball owners and the players association work through most of their issues. They are hung up on one issue, arbitration and they are one service year apart. Who blinks?
- It has been talked to death a bit, but how do you think the team fills the hole at shortstop?
- The Astros are about to enter the season and Lance McCullers needs another month or two of recovery. They have Justin Verlander, Framber Valdez, Luis Garcia and Jose Urquidy in the top 4 spots. Who do you think fills the fifth spot? Jake Odorizzi, Cristian Javier or a youngster like Peter Solomon or Shawn Dubin?
- The Astros after failing to re-sign Correa, decide to fill the shortstop spot from within, freeing up some cash for another move. Will they pursue a veteran outfielder, a veteran third baseman (so they can slide Alex Bregman over), a late-inning reliever or another potential starting pitcher?
- Will the Astros seek to trade Jake Odorizzi before the season, during the season, or not at all?
- The Astros are contending at the trade deadline, but their rotation is a little shaky due to some injuries and some spots of underperforming. Do they go for a big splash deadline trade ala Verlander or Zack Greinke or not?
- Assuming Verlander, McCullers, Valdez, Garcia, Urquidy, and Javier are the starting rotation and long reliever and Odorizzi is gone…. Who do you think is first man up from the minors if the need arises?
- The Astros start the season with Kyle Tucker, Chas McCormick, and Michael Brantley in the outfield, with Jose Siri as the fourth outfielder. Yordan Alvarez and Aledmys Diaz get some spot starts in left. While Jake Meyers is still getting ready, McCormick and Siri struggle mightily. Do you think the Astros will wait it out, give more starts to Alvarez and Diaz, bring someone up like Pedro Leon?
- Billy Bean, Oakland A’s VP and GM calls up James Click and is feeling him out on a set of prospects in return for 3B Matt Chapman, who even in a down year still hit 27 HRs and knocked in 72 runs. Chapman has two seasons of arbitration left and is expected to pull in about $10 MM this season and more in 2023. Do you think James Click hangs up, gives Bean a bad list of prospects or seriously pursues Chapman?
Go ahead and put those thinking caps on. Can’t wait to see what you think.