It has been a while since the last What They Said – What They Meant. As a reminder, this will be a series of real-world quotes from mlb.com or mlbtraderumors.com related to your Houston Astros, followed by what the speaker really meant.
Owner Jim Crane on his optimistic feel for his team….
- What he said. “Hopefully, it shapes up that we get everybody back and healthy for a nice run at the end and win the division — maybe have the best record in the American League to get home-field [advantage]. That’s the goal. Everybody is on track with that. It’s the dog days of August. We’re here.”
- What he meant. “The operative word here may be dog, as my team is playing like a pack of dogs right now. When they are not dogging it, they are doggone stinky lately. But they are here – which is the same as saying they are breathing.”
Crane continuing on about his team….
- What he said. “We got great fans, and they come out and support the team, and it’s a lot better. It was terrible last year for everybody, and they got it done, and we did all right. This team is a little more focused, has a little more depth, and we have a good chance. This team has as good a chance as everybody to go all the way.”
- What he meant. “Lately, they look like they have a good chance to go all the way home for the playoffs.”
Crane on his manager Dusty Baker
- What he said. “He’s had to patch it up. He’s done a nice job of moving guys in and out and giving guys some rest. I think we’re in good shape to make a run. He’s well-liked by the players, and he handles himself well. Dusty’s done a great job for us since he’s come in.
- What he meant. “What do you want me to tell you? We brought him in because we needed to cleanse the palette, so to speak, after the scandal. I can’t fire this guy right now. I would have BLM on my back. I would have AARP on my back. I would have the players who love him on my back. I love the guy too. It would be like firing your dad or Santa Claus. Let’s let him pick his time to step back (unless the fans stop coming).”
- What he said. “If you’ve seen Santana over the years, this guy’s been a clutch man for a long time. It’s easy to look back now and say, [‘Walk him’]. We got some charts and stuff that shows what the chances are of somebody hitting somebody, and Perez, I don’t think, had ever faced Garcia.”
- What he meant. “I mean Perez is only batting .225 and has 59 RBIs, and Santana is batting .275 and has 77 RBIs and is a cool guitar player to boot. What? I got those numbers reversed? Damn these bifocals!”
- What he said. “It was a backup slider. It was a [bad] time for it. I worked him away that entire game and executed away and got weak contact. After the strikeout of the guy before, I felt good going into the sixth inning. It wasn’t a lack of stuff. It was poor execution of a pitch at literally the wrong time. It was middle-down and a spinner.”
- What he meant. “You know I am so good that sometimes I get away from what works, just to give the hitters a chance.”
- What he said. “Benintendi doesn’t hit left-handers nearly as well as right-handers. Not even close.”
- What he meant (after being told that Benintendi came into the game hitting .257/.294/.396 vs. left-handers and .250/.309/.395 vs. right-handers this year). “Well, close is a relative term. If we measure this in milimeters…..”
Pitcher Zack Greinke after 3 of the 5 hits against him, were squibs to the side of the infield opened up by the shift….
- What he said. “If you don’t strike out anyone at all, you’re going to give up some hits. Sometimes the shift helps, sometimes it doesn’t.”
- What he meant. “Shift happens.”
3B Alex Bregman speaking about his injury on Aug 11…
- What he said. “I wish I could have two months ago been like, ‘This is the day I’m going to be back playing’. But it’s just not the case with these types of injuries. Getting really close. I feel like everything is going in the right direction and continuing to improve.”
- What he meant. “I guess I don’t know the meaning of close any more than Dusty does.”
GM James Click about Bregman on Aug 15
- What he said. “We determined that the best course of action was to do a lot of work that didn’t involve playing in games. Right now, we’re making sure he’s good to go at full speed with his legs fully underneath him. Once we feel like that’s been accomplished, we’ll move onto hitting.”
- What he meant. It is your turn – what did James Click mean…..