Your loyal writer is bringing back a Chip Bailey favorite in the Free Blog Weekend purely for your benefit. It has nothing to do with the fact that I have to get an estimate package out to the client on Monday and need to whip this post out at my lunchtime or not at all today.
As a reminder, topics to discuss are up to you, dear commenters, as long as they are baseball-related and respectful of others.
As usual, I will toss out a topic to attempt to start the conversation…..
On the radio a little while ago, John Lopez, who to me can be the king of smug sometimes, said the Astros should sweep the Rangers in this next three-game series – period.
Yes, the Astros are a better team than the Rangers, but thinking this through, there are other considerations.
- These games will be played at the Rangers new home – the “Barn”. (Ignore the fact that the Rangers are 10-13 at home this year).
- The Rangers best pitcher, Kyle Gibson, who has been excellent this year and gave up 2 runs in 7 innings to the Astros a week ago, is facing Astros prospect Tyler Ivey Friday night in his major league debut. And Ivey has not been pitching well in the minors so far this season.
- Familiarity breeds contempt?
- Even though the Astros swept a 4 game series from the Rangers, only the second game (similar to tonight), where Zack Greinke faced rookie Wes Benjamin, was a blowout. They won the first game 4-3 in 11 innings in a game they came close to losing a dozen times. They had to hang on for dear life in the third game, 6-5, as the Rangers came roaring back from 6-1 down. In the fourth game, they won 6-2, but the game was tied 2-2 in the 8th inning before a late Houston rally.
- The Astros are a so-so 11-9 on the road to date.
So, is a 3 game sweep a no brainer for the Astros? Talk among yourselves or bring up your own set of topics.