We are in the depths of baseball boredom right now. So, the only thing to do is for Dan P to stand up and tip his head over and see what thoughts pour out.
- Sure need to have some real baseball soon. Watched a few innings of a Korean Baseball game and it just did not do anything for me. AT&T Sports Net has been throwing some random ballgames on the air. Tomorrow they will have a July 3rd, 2019 game between the Astros and the Rockies. I’m not sure I would have watched that live and sure can’t get revved up to watch it as a repeat. Of course, they are also inexplicably airing a 2019 football game between the universities of Nevada and Wyoming this afternoon. Boy, I bet that one really moves the viewing needle.
- Relative to the Oakland A’s stopping the $400 per month payments to their minor leaguers…..How many minor leaguers are we talking about? Let’s say they have 250 to 300 players involved. That is between $100,000 and $120,000 a month. Really? Really A’s? If you can’t afford that you should just sell the team to someone who can.
- I don’t know how the owners can expect veteran players to play 1/2 the games in the season for 22% of their pay. I can’t see how the players can expect to make 1/2 their pay for 1/2 the games if there are no fans in the stands. There needs to be some kind of compromise there – how about 40% of pay and play 60% of games? If the owners opened their books (Which will never, never, never happen) this might force a resolution. Just hope they figure out how to start the season in some way, shape or form.
- I was looking forward to seeing how young ‘uns like Yordan Alvarez and Kyle Tucker would do in a full season. Oh well, we will have to be entertained by what they do in a reduced schedule (we hope).
- Here is a quiz….. which of the following is the most exciting play:
– Alvarez cranking one into the upper deck
– Myles Straw streaking from 1st to home on someone else’s double
– Josh Reddick stealing a homer from above the right field fence
– Jose Altuve squaring up on a high fastball and killing it to center
– Carlos Correa grabbing an outfield throw and relaying it like a laser to home plate
– George Springer leading off another game with a solo shot
For some reason, I vote for Correa’s – but that is just me. Of course, if it is Altuve squaring up on one to win the ALCS……
- If you are running a team that is in decent financial condition, you must be licking your lips thinking that some of these teams (like the A’s) might do almost anything to dump salary…..if there is a 2020 season and if there is a trade deadline. You might pick up some real deals.
- A possible solution to the re-start might be to defer portions of salaries to a time when there are actually people in the stands. But it will continue to be about the Benjamins. (I would say it is about some bigger bill, but the only one I remember is Art Linkletter on the $100,00 bill in the game of Life).
So that is what fell out of my brain today. What is in yours?