This is one of those scattershot posts that come to mind as we continue to try and fill the seemingly eternal vacuum of time and lack of real baseball news. So without further delay, let’s talk about “stuff”.
- Here’s an interesting one. I am getting up there in age, but I don’t particularly remember Terry Puhl as having a “sweet” swing that was above every other Astro ever. In general, I always liked Ken Griffey‘s swing, and I always thought Bagwell had the ugliest with that stance of his. What do you think? I sure like Yordan Alvarez‘s swing, but is that just the results of his swing?
- There is a virtual baseball tournament going on right now on mlb.com using the top players in history (more or less) for every team, plus an old Negro league all-star team and an under 25 team to make it a 32 team bracket. The Astros have won in the first two rounds – against the Orioles and Tigers.
What do you think the chances are they win the next round against the Yankees?
- Has there been one story where an Astro or Astro related person has been asked about their opinion of the (lack of) punishment for the Red Sox? Would they be allowed to say what they thought by the MLB if they were asked?
- It is always heartwarming to read what the players do during a crisis. Alex Bregman with his fiancée helping to raise $1 million and counting through the Houston Food Bank and hand-delivering some meals himself. Justin Verlander with his wife helping out here in Houston (donated a paycheck to Bregman’s cause) and to his long term home team city of Detroit (donating facemasks and face shields to first responders). There have been enough bad stories – these are the type of good stories that are getting more light these days.
- The Astros should be about one month into their season right now. By this time there is usually some feel (sometimes based on a too-small sample) on how the players and their teams are going to do for the season. But the starting flag is packed away right now, and no one knows when or if it will be pulled out. It brings me down a bit, but I trust that things will work out.
- So does a reduced or cancelled season help or hurt Carlos Correa? This does not allow him to show that he could stay healthy for a full season, so you would think it could hurt him. It also may keep him from getting hurt again (though he sure might get hurt in what part of the season does occur) which might help him.
- This sounds like it is a political point, but it has a sports point. My wife and I were talking about the current Harris County commissioner who ordered everyone to wear a face-covering starting Monday. We were talking about how one of the reasons we thought she won the last election was because the previous commissioner, who had been quite popular, got totally obsessed with spending money to re-use the Astrodome. I mean I loved going to the Astrodome, but it sure looked like dumping money into a (literal) rat trap.
- What do you do if you are a career minor leaguer? Unless you were one of the ones that got a bonus, you have never made good money. Now you have no money coming in, and this is not a time when you can easily make something on the side. Maybe your spouse is the only income, and they may not be working. And now there will be fewer teams that might need your services when it does get back rolling. Killing the dreams…
So, anyways that was all over the place. What does your weekend thoughts look like?