As we face another week/month/lifetime of isolation, here at Chipalatta we will share with you a list of miscellaneous ways to fill in the time. Of course, this is far from an all-inclusive list, but if it helps just one person then it is worth it.
This is, of course, an easier thing to do if you have a service like Netflix or others that have whole series available for you to watch. Or if you are old school like Dan P and Mary P, you may have some old series on DVD. But this can be a fun time to re-watch something you love or watch something that you’ve never seen, but which others love. Some suggestions:
- The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-66) – This is going back a long time, but this show helped drag comedy from the pure slapstick days to a little more sophisticated humor. The show stemmed from a pilot that show creator Carl Reiner starred in that did not make it, but which took off with a different leading man. Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore were great as the show’s center and Rosemarie, Morey Amsterdam, Richard Deacon, Jerry Paris, Ann Guilbert and Reiner himself were a great supporting cast.
- The Gilmore Girls (2000-2007) – Never a big hit show because it aired on the WB, nevertheless worth a watch. The show is a dramedy and I guess some folks consider it the TV equivalent of a chick flick, but I loved the snappy 1940ish style dialog, the cultural references, the small town eccentricities, the in-family battles and the great cast led by Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel (from Houston and St. Agnes High School).
- The Office (2005-2013) – I have to admit that the show seemed to lose its way after a while, but for the first 6+ seasons, it was just a fun show. You need to watch from the beginning to get a feel for the characters and to understand how you can have sympathy for the clueless non-PC Michael Scott (Steve Carrell).
- Big Bang Theory (2006-2019) – The show that made being a nerd, well not exactly cool, but understandable. Again this is a show that had terrific writing until it didn’t. About season 9 to 10 it starts running out of steam, but before that, there were a lot of gems. The ensemble cast led by Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki is pitch-perfect and funny.
- Breaking Bad (2008-13) – This may be the best-written show in the history of television. Yes, it will challenge your moral base as you cheer for and alternately abhor the anti-hero. Bryan Cranston and crew do a terrific job bringing this story to life. But it is the writing that is the star.
- Go here – https://chipalatta.com/2019/01/19/top-10-baseball-movies-of-all-time/ – and between Dan P’s picks and the comments you should be able to find some fine movies to fill the time.
There are lots of gems to watch out there…. here are a few favorites by genre….
- Dramas – 12 Angry Men, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Few Good Men
- Suspense – Charade, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt, Psycho
- Musicals – Fiddler on the Roof, Oliver, Meet Me in St. Louis, West Side Story
- Comedy – Groundhog Day, Breakfast Club, Caddyshack, Notting Hill
Clean up. It’s a great time to declutter – pick a drawer, a closet, or whatever floats your boat.
Board Games – Have a family game night – get reconnected with everyone
Try New Recipes – When every day is the same – it can be fun to try something new.
Reach out – Everybody else is at home – this may be a great time to touch base with those you haven’t seen in a while
Read – Have you always wanted to read some classic book – this is the time
Read Your Favorite Blog – Here are some big-time historical posts from Chipalatta
Write. Whether it is writing a blog or it is writing some person a long letter (when is the last time you did that?), give it a shot.
Pray. OK, may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but prayers for our country, our world, our loved ones, etc….this might well be the time.
Surfin’. This is a good time to check out some web sites of interest. I like to go to….
Astros – https://www.mlb.com/astros
Baseball stuff – https://www.baseball-reference.com/
Disney stuff – https://allears.net/
Movie stuff – https://www.imdb.com/
And there are as many choices it seems as stars in the universe.
Sun and Exercise
Make sure you do get outside and get some sun to lighten your mood. We walk the parking garage ramps at our condo, but do something to get you moving a bit and to breathe the fresh air.
So, what suggestions do you have for filling in the time……