As your faithful servant is writing this, the Astros are up 1-0 in a West Coast game that will end when I am fast asleep. I have no idea if the Astros will be 12-7 heading into Thursday or 11-8 and frankly I don’t really care. I don’t really care if they are 1-1/2, 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 games behind the Angels tomorrow. Well, sure I would rather they narrow the lead to 1-1/2 games against LAA, but for the point of this post it does not matter.
Why? Let’s look at what the American League looked like after 18 games in 2017 and what it looked like at the end of the season.
|AL East Teams||2017 – Thru 18 games||Games Back||2017 – Season||Games Back|
|AL Central Teams||2017 – Thru 18 games||Games Back||2017 – Season||Games Back|
|AL West Teams||2017 – Thru 18 games||Games Back||2017 – Season||Games Back|
Judging by the first 18 games, you might think….
- The Orioles with the best record in the league were going to have a special season. You would be wrong as they ended up last in their division 18 games back.
- The Red Sox were going to be a bit wobbly as they were barely above .500 and in 3rd place in their division. You would be wrong as they rolled to the AL East title.
- Detroit was going to compete for the AL Central title as they were tied for 1st. You would be wrong as they would end up with the worst record in the AL and finish 38 games out of first place.
- Minnesota was going to have an off year as they were below .500 and in 4th place in the Central. You would have missed the Twins earning the second Wild Card.
- Astros were going to have a great season…well you would have been right on that one.
The point being that 18 games is nothing, a blip on the radar and not worth worrying about.
Worried about the Astros individual hitters? Look at these numbers after 18 games….
- Jose Altuve…..did not hit his first HR until his 18th game.
- Carlos Correa was hitting .217 BA and .623 OPS with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs
- Alex Bregman? He had a decent .256 BA, but with 0 HRs and only 4 RBIs
- Marwin Gonzalez….an eerily similar to this season .174 BA/.296 OBP thru his first 18 games
- George Springer – Big power numbers but .216 BA and .284 OBP
- Evan Gattis did not finish with the .321 BA/ .400 OBP/ .918 OPS slash he sported after 18 games
- Jake Marisnick though having his best season would go down from his .273/.385/.930 slash
I am not saying there are not concerns, but don’t lose sleep after just a little over 10% of the season has lapsed.
So do you have worries or concerns and what are they?