A couple of weeks into Spring Training and it is a day of contemplation. Here are some random thoughts and questions…..
- Considering the intensity of the last time the core players were on the field for the World Series, what is going through their collective minds in playing these games that mean nothing after playing games that meant everything?
- Along those lines, are they likely to be relaxed and playing loose or relaxed to the point of not being on point during ST?
- The Astros have had a few games where they were just booting the ball around like crazy. Of course, a lot of this is by folks who will not be anywhere near Houston for opening day and many who will not be with the big club anytime this season. But does an error by Carlos Correa in a Spring Training game mean anything?
- The Astros probable starting rotation (other than Dallas Keuchel, who has not pitched yet while this is being typed) has been nails in small samples so far. Lance McCullers and Charlie Morton both have two shutout innings, Justin Verlander has five shutout innings and newbie Gerrit Cole has given up one run in five innings.
- Dan P still has not written a post about the other teams in their division, because there are still 8 or 9 of the top 50 free agents still unsigned, who could change the outlook for some of these teams. At some point they will end up in the fold or this writer will throw his hands up and write something anyways.
- So far (in small doses) Joe Smith and Hector Rondon have not been too impressive and neither has Ken Giles…..
- It is more important to the Astros future to figure out how to keep George Springer long-term than Dallas Keuchel. Discuss among yourselves….
- All clubs go to Spring Training thinking they have a shot at the gold ring – in some cases these are delusional thoughts. But is there any player that truly thinks, “I have a better shot at winning it all playing for Team XYZ than if I were playing for the Astros”?
- We saw a million+ people show up for the World Series parade. Now if each of them would go to 3 games apiece….the club would hit the 3 million attendance mark again.
- Though injuries are always bad things, how bad is the Yuli Gurriel injury? It hits early in the season, does not last long and gives the Astros a chance to test their next man up concept.
What are your thoughts about these thoughts….or anything else you may want to hit on today?