Today is a return to an oldie but goodie – What They Said, What They Meant. As always, an Astros related quote is posted followed by what they really meant to say.
GM Jeff Luhnow on the false report that the deal for Gerrit Cole was complete.
- What he said. “We do not have a deal. We are working on multiple things but nothing is imminent.”
- What he meant. “Until the Pirates remove two words from their vocabulary, Whitley and Tucker, there is no deal. Meanwhile I can piddle around with the Rays on Archer or talk to Darvish’s agent and wait on the Pirates front office out.”
Joe Musgrove in his sweet goodbye letter to the Astros and their fans.
- What he said. (The full letter is here http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2018/01/14/264701162/joe-musgrove-inked-a-heartfelt-handwritten-note-thanking-the-astros-organization-and-fans) – “I feel so blessed and fortunate to have been able to be a part of a clubhouse that will go down as one of the best teams in history. I now have memories and a ring, that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. To the fans of Houston ….you have shown me a whole new meaning to the word FAMILY.”
- What he meant. “It was a wonderful year and an unbelievable experience. I hope I will never forget this year, because I may never have another shot at a ring the rest of my life.”
Carlos Correa talking about proposing to his girlfriend on national TV after game 7.
- What he said. “I was like OK, so we have a championship caliber team, so let me wait it out to see if we can be champions and do it at the big stage. So, we were able to win the game, which was the first part of my day to accomplish, and then I was able to do it.”
- What he meant. “You know how young people feel invincible like nothing bad could happen to them. It never occurred to me that we were not going to win that game. I had no Plan B…..”
Jose Altuve on winning the AL MVP award.
- What he said. “That’s what I love about baseball, that every single guy can play the game. There’s not a rule you have to be six feet tall to play baseball and become a good player.”
- What he meant. “You may think that my height has been a challenge to me, but in truth it is the fuel that drives my engine. The chip on my shoulder about this is taller than I am…..”
A.J. Hinch about his team after winning the World Series.
- What he said. “The players are really what makes the sport go. And the more you can get out of them, the more you can get them to trust in you, believe in you as a leader, the better you’ll be as a manager. I’m not sure you know that right out of the chute when you first get one of these jobs. At least for me as a young guy, I didn’t appreciate what it took to put your heart and soul into the players and let them see you for who you are, and in return ask them to be themselves.”
- What he meant. “I wasn’t a very good manager the first time around. I certainly didn’t have the talent with the D’Backs then as I do with the Astros now, but I also was not the leader I am now. I was not comfortable in my own skin and did not let the players know who I really was. That’s over now and I’m ready to dive in deep again in 2018.”
Jim Crane during the lead up to the Gerrit Cole trade.
- What he said. “I’ve been told, on paper we have the best team in baseball, but paper doesn’t win titles.”
- What he meant. “I understand how sports really work. I understand that keeping the status quo is equivalent to taking a step backwards when everyone else is improving. I loved the taste of winning and we are going for it again.”
Bonus quote. You get to interpret this tweet from Kate Upton to her new husband Astros pitcher Justin Verlander.
- What she tweeted. “Which is better: winning the #World Series2017 or a honeymoon with @KateUpton?”
- What she meant. ?????