This is your night! Memorialize your thoughts here in a time capsule for the ages!
For more than 50 years, I have have been a die hard fan of this organization. From lying in bed with a transistor radio to watching playoff games in the Astrodome, then from the Crawford Boxes at Minute Maid Park for the epic 18-inning game.
This blog began at the Houston Chronicle during the Astros’ first playoff run to their only World Series 12 years ago. At that time, it was Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Roy Oswalt, Lance Berkman and a fewer lesser known players like Chris Burke, Adam Everett and Jason Lane.
The important names in the 2017 run weren’t even a blip on any radar back then.
The 2017 heroes:
- Jose Altuve. Has there been a better player for Houston?
- Justin Verlander. ‘nuf said.
- Alex Bregman. Perhaps the biggest play of the series.
- Charlie Morton. Two strong games, despite the loss in New York.
- George Springer. No bat, but strong center field play.
- Brian McCann. When you gotta have a play…
Mike Scott would be proud. Nolan Ryan is smiling. Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell have company. Drayton McClane will probably make a call to congratulate Jim Crane. Milo Hamilton, Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies would be celebrating.
Who are your heroes for the 2017 ALCS?
We’ll talk more about the World Series later, but here are a couple of thoughts: