In his first real starring role, back in 1979, Bill Murray goes out on a limb and plays a comical, slacker, non-conformance camp counselor in the movie Meatballs. At one point Murray gives a “motivational” speech to the kids from his lower middle class, everyman camp for their upcoming competition with the high end, privileged camp, Mohawk.
“Sure, Mohawk has beaten us twelve years in a row. Sure, they’re terrific athletes. They’ve got the best equipment that money can buy. Hell, every team they’re sending over here has their own personal masseuse, not masseur, masseuse. But it doesn’t matter. Do you know that every Mohawk competitor has an electrocardiogram, blood and urine tests every 48 hours to see if there’s any change in his physical condition? Do you know that they use the most sophisticated training methods from the Soviet Union, East and West Germany, and the newest Olympic power Trinidad-Tobago? But it doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t matter. IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER. I tell you, IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER!”
In some ways, this summarizes what the Astros attitude should be heading into the 2017 playoffs – IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER!!
- If they can’t surpass the Indians for the best record in the majors, IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER!!
- If they have to play a taxi tested tough Yankees team coming off a wild card win, IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER!!
- If they have to play a Minnesota Twin team that has battled their way into the wild card, IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER!!
- If they have to play the Red Sox immediately after playing them in the last series of the season, IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER!!
- If they have to play the unbeatable, twenty-two wins in a row Indians to go to the World Series, IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER!!
- And if they have to play the Dodgers, Nats, D’Backs, Cubs or whoever to win their first WS, IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER!!
The Astros know that no matter how they go at this, they will play three very good-to-great teams if they are going to win the first Houston MLB baseball championship, and it does not matter what order or where they play them. They just have to go out and win eleven games starting next Thursday and they will stand on top of the baseball world.
They just have to win eleven playoff games. Nothing else matters….