I’m at that age where I not only have forgotten more than most people know, I seem to forget every day most everything I used to know. Therefore it is no surprise that in reviewing the Astros 2015 ALDS roster against the KC Royals that I’ve forgotten:
- That the Astros split was only 11 pitchers and 14 every day players. The discussions about the 2017 playoff rosters lately has been talking about dropping from a 13-12 split to a 12-13 split, not a 11-14 split. Did this lead to the bullpen disaster of game four back then? Probably not, but it did not help.
- That Chris Carter and Jed Lowrie were still with us in 2015. It feels like so much longer ago than that.
- That Oliver Perez and Josh Fields were prominent in the bullpen
- That Evan Gattis was only DH’ing and Jason Castro and Hank Conger were manning the plate.
How would we compare rosters between 2015 and the likely roster for 2017? Well here is a shot at just that.
|POS||2015 PLAYOFF ROSTER||2017 PLAYOFF ROSTER?||COMMENTS|
|1B||CHRIS CARTER||YULI GURRIEL||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|2B||JOSE ALTUVE||JOSE ALTUVE||PUSH|
|SS||CARLOS CORREA||CARLOS CORREA||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|3B||LUIS VALBUENA||ALEX BREGMAN||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|C||JASON CASTRO||BRIAN MCCANN||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|RF||GEORGE SPRINGER||JOSH REDDICK||PUSH|
|CF||CARLOS GOMEZ||GEORGE SPRINGER||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|LF||COLBY RASMUS||MARWIN GONZALEZ||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|DH||EVAN GATTIS||CARLOS BELTRAN||PUSH|
|SUB||HANK CONGER||EVAN GATTIS||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|SUB||MARWIN GONZALEZ||DEREK FISHER||2015 ADVANTAGE|
|SUB||JED LOWRIE||COLIN MORAN||2015 ADVANTAGE|
|SUB||JAKE MARISNICK||CAMERON MAYBIN||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|SP||DALLAS KEUCHEL||JUSTIN VERLANDER||2015 ADVANTAGE|
|SP||COLLIN MCHUGH||DALLAS KEUCHEL||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|SP||SCOTT KAZMIR||BRAD PEACOCK||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|SP||LANCE MCCULLERS||COLLIN MCHUGH||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|SP||MIKE FIERS||CHARLIE MORTON||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|RP||LUKE GREGERSON||KEN GILES||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|RP||WILL HARRIS||CHRIS DEVENSKI||PUSH|
|RP||PAT NESHEK||WILL HARRIS||PUSH|
|RP||TONY SIPP||LUKE GREGERSON||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|RP||JOSH FIELDS||JOE MUSGROVE||2017 ADVANTAGE|
|RP||OLIVER PEREZ||FRANCISCO LIRIANO||PUSH|
|25TH||PRESTON TUCKER||MIKE FIERS||PUSH|
My assumption here is that the Astros will do a 12/13 split and that the last spot would be Fiers this time around.
Overall the starting lineup should be stronger this time around, even with a few of the same people involved. The bench seems a little worse this time around, while the rotation and the bullpen seem deeper and better.
- Do you agree with the 2017 playoff roster shown above?
- Do you agree with the 12/13 pitcher vs. everyday player split?
- Do you agree with how this team is rated vs. that one?
- Do you think this team has a better shot than that one of going deep in the playoffs?