The Astros started the road trip in Baltimore Friday night by scoring eight runs and the natural response for the fans these days is a shrug and a yawn.
The Astros are in the midst of the greatest road offensive season in almost 80 years. The only teams to score more than their current 7.15 runs / game wore Yankee pinstripes and played in 1930, 1934 and 1938. Those Yankee teams had players ranging from Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Tony Lazerri to the Yankee Clipper himself in a young Joe DiMaggio. Each of those teams had between four or five future Hall of Famers in the starting lineup.
Here are a few facts to ponder:
- After their 7.15 runs/game on the road the next best number in the majors is the Nationals with 5.6 r/gm.
- Their .301 BA towers over the Marlins at number two at .284
- Their .369 OBP overshadows the Dodgers at .343
- SLG? .520 vs. Mets .492 OPS? .890 way above the Mets .826
- In 45 games on the road they have scored 10 or more runs in 11 of those games – last season they only did that 12 times in all 162 games, home and road
- Another way to look at it – on the road the Astros hit like 9 players that are equivalent to the Orioles Jonathan Schoop who is having a .303/.352/.897 season with 20 HRs and 67 RBIs.
- Jose Altuve‘s .410 BA on the road has him being mentioned in the company of Hall of Famers like Harry Heilmann, Ty Cobb and Rogers Hornby. His .490 OBP means he gets on base almost every other time on the road.
- George Springer? His .345 BA/.407 OBP /1.068 OPS are even more excellent than his overall numbers.
- Yuli Gurriel is pretty pedestrian at home compared to his .344 BA / .899 OPS on the road
- Alex Bregman hits more like the fans expect from him on the road – .283 BA/.375 OBP/.853 OPS.
- Brian McCann thrives on the road .272/.346/.837, his catching buddy Evan Gattis has slightly lower BA and OBP on the road and a much higher .908 OPS
- Carlos Correa, Josh Reddick and Marwin Gonzalez have a bit better numbers at home than on the road, but are very good in both spots.
- Can this team keep up the big numbers on the road?
- Any idea why the heck they are so good on the road?