All sports reveal the truth over time and baseball is no exception. Any player and any team can have 2 or 4 weeks of out-of-their-mind performance, but eventually they will return to earth sometimes with a soft glide, sometimes with a thud. When a player or team is performing well for a couple of months or more, the truth is that this is a good player or team.
The Astros will play their 51st game of the season on Sunday and despite insecurities the fans may have about this team, their 33-16 performance to date screams they are GOOD.
- Against their division foes – 14-6
- On the road – 15-6
- At home – 18-10
- In extra inning games – 4-0
- In 1 run games – 8-4
- Against the NL – 5-0
- In their division – 9 game lead over the Angels and Rangers
- In the AL – 4 game lead over the Yankees for the best record in the league
- In the majors – 1-1/2 game lead over the Rockies for best in the bigs
Their 3 game sweep at the hands of the Indians at Minute Maid looked like a signal that they were falling back towards earth, but then the Astros put together a nice 4-1 turnaround over the rest of the week to right the ship.
So, do you think the Astros are GOOD, VERY GOOD, THE BEST IN BASEBALL, or OVER-RATED LIKE KEITH LAW?