After Friday night’s game the Astros had earned a very strong 12-5 record, only a few percentage behind the 11-4 Baltimore Orioles for the best record in the major leagues. Considering the Astros were an ugly 5-12 in 2016 after 17 games and did not win their 12th game until May 8th in their 32nd game, 2017 is a fun revelation for all of Houston fandom.
One of the fun things about the team is the fact that they are doing this with one arm tied behind their back. Their leadoff man, George Springer, is putting up Chris Carter numbers with a .286 OBP, despite 7 HRs. Arguably the two best offensive players coming into the season, Jose Altuve and Carlos Correa, have combined for 1 HR. Correa has a puny .212 BA and a Marisnick-like .581 OPS. Man, what happens when those guys start producing?
So what else is fun so far?
- Just like in 2015, the starting pitching is keeping them in almost every game.
- Just like in 2015, when the starting pitching is shaky, the bullpen is nails throwing up 0’s for 4 or 5 innings almost every time out.
- Yulieski Gurriel along with newcomers Brian McCann and Josh Reddick all have BAs over .300 and OPS over .800.
- They are 3-0 in one run games.
- They have come from behind to win seven times in 2017.
- They have won their two extra inning games and in both games they came from behind twice, including a Jake Marisnick two out HR in one and a walk off two out, two strike HR by Springer in the other.
- And they’ve gotten into the great habit of scoring late in seven of those wins to give their bullpen some breathing room.
So, what has made this start to the 2017 season fun for you?