Let’s look at a few reasons why the Astros might be interested in obtaining Jose Quintana from the White Sox.
2016 Stats (except for the last entry)
|Lance McCullers Jr||6-5||81||3.22||1.543||11.8||1.6|
|Jose Quintana (4 yr average)||10-10||203.2||3.35||1.223||7.7||4.5|
Whether you look at what Jose Quintana did last year of whether you look at what he has done over the last four years, he would seemingly bring value to the Astros as a consistently good pitcher. But there are questions / minuses with him along with obvious pluses.
Pros for pursuing Quintana
- He will only be 28 when the season begins
- They would only be committed to $15.9 million for two seasons (with a $1 million buy-out)
- If they liked him they could commit one year at a time for two more seasons at $10.5 and $11.5 million
- If he repeated his last season or just any one of his last 4 seasons he would be the number 1 or number 2 pitcher in the rotation
- With the lineup the Astros will put on the field, this might be the season to go for it
Cons for not pursuing Quintana
- He wins only about 1/2 the time. That might be due to hitting support or bullpen support, but still that is how often he has won
- He would cost a load of prospects
- It is possible that if Keuchel and McCullers are well and bringing it that Q won’t be needed as badly as the numbers above might make you think
- It is possible the Astros could wait until midseason and there might be more choices to pick up or they might have a different need at that time.
So, where do you stand on this issue. Shall they stay or shall they go?