The Astros have been active in the early off-season.
- Needed some outfield help with Colby Rasmus moving down the road: Pick up Nori Aoki and Josh Reddick
- Needed some catcher help with Jason Castro getting lots of attention in the FA market: Trade for Brian McCann
- Needed some rotation help with Doug Fister done as an Astro: Sign RHP Charlie Morton
So, the obvious questions are what else and what next?
Here are some thoughts on each of the recognized needs of the Astros:
First Base Options
- Cover this with a combination of Marwin Gonzalez, Yulieski Gurriel, A.J. Reed, etc.
- Re-sign Luis Valbuena who also gives you flexibility to play at third base.
- Chase an outside FA like Mike Napoli, Steve Pearce or Edwin Encarnacion
- Throw the book at it – everyone from Aoki to Gurriel to the catchers on their off-days
- Sign Carlos Beltran
- After you sign an Encarnacion or a Jose Bautista – use him here most of the time
- If A.J. Reed does not lose weight maybe he is built for DH
- Outbid the Cubs and Yanks for Aroldis Chapman (please stop laughing before you go on to next point)
- Pray that Tony Sipp bounces back and use Will Harris as a RHP left handed killer
- Go after an under the radar lefty FA like Boone Logan
- Give a minor leaguer like Reymin Guduan a shot
- Don’t make a move – assume you can cover all spots with Dallas Keuchel, Collin McHugh, Lance McCullers Jr., Morton, Joseph Musgrove, Mike Fiers, and Chris Devenski
- Make for an uncomfortable clubhouse by signing Edinson Volquez and give him the locker next to George Springer
- Package up pitching prospects with Alex Bregman and go after Chris Sale or Chris Archer or….
- Wait until the trade deadline and then decide if you need to package up some folks for a TOR pitcher.
Those are some thoughts. How would you approach each position?