The Astros have a tough row to hoe to get into the playoffs. So, does everybody else. And there are a lot of everybody else’s involved. Boston, Baltimore, New York, Detroit, Kansas City, Seattle and Houston all have reasonable shots at the two playoff spots in the American League with the Red Sox in the cat bird seat with a 2 game lead for the first wild card spot.
In their last 31 games, the Astros have ten games against the first place Texas Rangers and the first place Cleveland Indians. They have six games against their AL West rivals the Seattle Mariners who start Tuesday a game back of the Astros. But they do have some opportunity games against the likes of the Angels, A’s and White Sox.
It feels like if the Astros can get to September 19th in reasonable shape, the last couple weeks of the season bend their way. They finish the season with 10 games against the Angels and A’s with 3 Mariner games added to the mix.
After a 5 game stumble in mid-August, the Astros have righted the ship against weaker teams and are on an 8-2 run that is raised them to within two games of the second wild card spot.
So the questions for you today are:
- What percentage chance do you see for the Astros of getting into the playoffs?
- How many of the 6 games against the Rangers do they need to win?
- How many of the 31 games left do they need to win?
- Which other team do you worry the most about for beating the Astros out of that 2nd wild card?
- If the Astros don’t make the playoffs will 2016 be a successful year?