A few weeks ago, Charles Dickens was quoted here in relation to Great Expectations for Carlos Correa.
Today we will move on to the Tale of Two Cities when looking at this season’s Houston Astros. “It was the best of times. It was the worst of times….” This has been a difficult time for any true fan of the Astros, because every time they get all down about the home team’s performance the team starts playing better. Then as soon as the sunshine optimist fan appears the Astros fall off the wagon and the fans fall off the band wagon.
The only easy role for the Houston Astros’ fan is that of hypocrite. Does any of this sound familiar over the last 4-1/2 months?
- Let’s get rid of Luis Valbuena. Just DFA him, give him away. (Turned a .183/.290/.540 April start into a .260/.357/.812 slash for the season)
- Man, Tyler White is great. Great! Roll him out there every day. (Hot two weeks turned into a pumpkin)
- Doug Fister is a disaster. Why did we pick him up? (After a few early bad starts – has been solid with a 11-7 record and 3.61 ERA)
- Ken Giles needs to get sent down until he learns what he is doing. (15 scoreless appearances from Mid-June to early August)
- Will Harris needs to be the closer for this team. (His ERA is 8 times as high since the day he became closer. Yeah it is cheating that he was 0.34 ERA when he became a closer).
- We need A.J. Reed and Alex Bregman up here. They will tear it up. (After terrible starts, they are toddling towards the Mendoza line).
- Just give Carlos Gomez a little more time and he will heat it up. (Well, not sure if anyone really thought that, but some hoped for it).
Now Dan P would never be one of these hypocrites….or admit to being one. Please don’t go back and check any posts or comments.
One question for you. What have you had to eat your words, feelings, thoughts about relative to the 2016 Houston Astros?