The sees and saws of the Astros’ 2016 season
The Astros’ fans are hoping that the recent boost in their team’s fortunes (A three-game sweep of the Orioles and much better pitching by everyone not named Dallas) is a sign that the team Sees or maybe Saws and boosts themselves back over .500 and into contention.
When taken into perspective there have been a lot of up and down between 2015 and 30 percent into 2016.
- Dallas Keuchel, the 2015 AL Cy Young Award winner has been one of the worst starting pitchers of 2016…..in the league, not just on this team.
- Carlos Correa, the 2015 AL Rookie of the Year is down in every significant offensive category and really does not deserve the coveted #3 spot in the order.
- A.J. Hinch, the runner-up for 2015 AL Manager of the Year, suddenly seems to have lowered his IQ, hacked off his young players and lost all the magic of an unexpected playoff season
- Ken Giles gave up 14 ER in 69 games last season for the Phillies, but has given up 13 ER in 24 games this season.
- On the other hand – after giving up 2 runs on May 5th, Giles has ridden the ERA seesaw down from the 9’s to the 5’s after giving up 1 run in his last 10 appearances.
- Tyler White, after a brilliant first two weeks in the majors has been Jon Singleton bad over the last month.
- Evan Gattis after another awful start, seems to have hit another gear since returning from AA and being declared the backup catcher.
- Luis Valbuena who was mired in an awful slump, seemed to be goosed out of it by the promotion of fellow 3B Colin Moran.
- After being on fire last April, Jake Marisnick is looking to burn any mention of his .125 BA / .348 OPS start.
- Colby Rasmus has followed up a strong April (.263 BA/.979 OPS) with a wimpy May (.186 BA/.490 OPS).
- On the other hand, Jason Castro’s anemic April (.140 BA / .511 OPS) has morphed into a very good May (.267 BA / .889 OPS).
Talk about past performance is no guarantee of future returns! There are no guarantees month to month or season to season.
For you some questions:
- Will the Astros’ seesaw 2016 move back towards the middle?
- Who up above is bound for better numbers in the months to come?
- Who is bound to flop going forward?
- Are people who gamble on sports (therefore betting on whether guys are going to slump or soar) crazy?