As one of Chip’s long time favorite commenters, Becky has informed us, the pitchers and catchers report for the Astros in about six weeks. (God bless you Becky with your cancer battle and our prayers continue to be with you). Last year at this time a number of important moves were made after the first of January and prior to Spring Training 2015.
These moves included the signings of Colby Rasmus, Joe Thatcher and Roberto Hernandez and the trades that brought Luis Valbuena, Dan Strailey, Evan Gattis, and James Hoyt to Houston.
The gut feeling is that the Astros are a lot closer to being ready for spring training at this time, then they were a season ago.
Where do you stand on the following questions:
- Do the Astros need to make any significant moves in the next six weeks or wait until mid-season when any holes will be more evident?
- Do they need to chase another veteran starting pitcher in case Scott Feldman is not ready for the rotation?
- Do they need to add any more arms to the bullpen?
- Do they fill in behind Chris Carter at first base from within the organization?
- Should they try to bolster the DH spot with someone who can actually play the field?
- Should they find a new home for Jason Castro and turn the catching duties over to Max Stassi and Tyler Heineman or others?
- Is there any other move you believe will occur or should occur between now and reporting day?