After Protections – Astros’ Rule 5 Targets
A couple weeks ago this blog talked about the minor leaguers that the Astros were most likely to protect heading into the Rule 5 draft.
The Astros protected a large group of minor leaguers by adding them to the 40 man roster, including IF Nolan Fontana, OF Andrew Aplin, C Alfredo Gonzalez and pitchers, Joe Musgrove, Juan Minaya, Jandel Gustave and David Paulino. To allow space for these young faces, the Astros made a large number of roster moves, including trading LJ Hoes, Jed Lowrie, Jonathan Villar, and Hank Conger, releasing Robbie Grossman and Luis Cruz, allowing Tony Sipp, Scott Kazmir, Chad Qualls, Oliver Perez and Joe Thatcher and designating Sam Deduno for assignment.
So, the list of the players most likely to be targeted in the Rule 5 draft this coming Thursday is a bit changed from before.
Most talked about – these are players that have been popping up on potential draft lists:
- OF Teoscar Hernandez – Did not hit for good average, but shows a decent combination of speed and power. The biggest reason he is being highlighted is because teams hope they can find the next Delino Deshields Jr.
- C Roberto Pena – Can’t hit worth a lick like most of the major league backup up catchers, but Lordy the man can gun down runners.
- P Reymin Guduan – Our esteemed blogger, oldpro pointed out this omission from the previous list. He doesn’t know where his 100 mph fastball is going, but neither do the opponents’ batters.
- P Chris Devenski – The other end of the pitching scale, his power pitch is his changeup.
Next Tier – The Next Most Likely to be Targeted
- C Tyler Heineman – Solid, but not powerful hitter, who is also good behind the plate.
- P’s Mike Hauschild and Jordan Jankowski – they are both older (26 and 27) which probably hurts their value, but a team may think they could handle the leap to the majors.
- OF Danry Vasquez – He is young and toolsy and again the DDJ success factor may inspire some team to pull the trigger.
Best of the rest
- Utility man and OBP machine – Joe Sclafani
- Reliever Tyson Perez
- LHP Brian Holmes
- SS Chan Moon
- Utility man Marc Wik
- P Agapito Barrios
- LHP Thomas Shirley
- After the Astros lost three players (temporarily) in last year’s Rule 5 – what is the number this year?
- Who do you think it will be (if anyone)?
- Who would you feel bad if they were drafted?
- Do you think any of these guys are really ready for the majors right now?