A menagerie of off-season questions
The weather in Houston has turned from lingering summer to near winter conditions or winter as defined in southeast Texas where frost is considered the equivalent to a full out blizzard.
So our minds wander to questions that may or may not matter in the coming season.
- Of the following players, who will have a comeback season offensively in 2016? Jason Castro, Chris Carter, Luis Valbuena, and/or Evan Gattis?
- Of the following players, who will be with the Astros in 2016? Jason Castro, Chris Carter, Luis Valbuena and/or Evan Gattis?
- Who is most likely to play in more than 140 games in 2016 – Carlos Gomez, Jed Lowrie or George Springer?
- The following minor leaguers are currently protected on the 40 man roster – IF Nolan Fontana, RHPs Juan Minaya, Joseph Musgrove, David Paulino, C Alfredo Gonzalez and OF Andrew Aplin. Of these 6 players, will any make the team out of spring training? Who? Will any be called up during the season? Who?
- Which pitcher is most likely to repeat their number of wins from 2015, Dallas Keuchel (20), Collin McHugh (19), Luke Gregerson (7), or Will Harris (5) in 2016?
- Carlos Correa’s 22 HR and 68 RBIs is the equivalent to a 162 game average of 36 HR and 111 RBIs. Do you think he will hit post 30 HR and 100 RBIs or better in 2016?
- In your opinion, what is the most critical need to be addressed in the off-season:
- A strong armed shut down closer
- A first baseman who is not a Putt Putt windmill
- A DH who can get on base more than 28% of the time and can actually play a position?
- Fill in the blank – If there is one guy I want off this team headed into 2016 it is _____________.
So, what do you think?