The Astros have two wins in their ALDS series with the Royals and both wins reflected the way they have won games all year long.
- Great basis. Starting pitching makes it tough for the other team to score. Collin McHugh gave up 2 HRs, but only 2 runs in 6 tough innings in Game 1; Dallas Keuchel pitched like pitch counts are only for mortals giving up one solo HR in 7 innings of brilliant ball to win Game 3.
- Just enough offense. In game one they rode a bunch of hits from the top of the lineup and a home run each from Rasmus and Springer to score 5 runs. In game 3 the bottom of the order led the way with Carter’s 3 hits including a home run and a double and a key 2 run 2 out single by Castro resulting in 4 runs.
- Just enough bullpen. Thursday night the bullpen put up 0’s for 3 innings, while on Sunday, they gave one run up in 2 innings to preserve the win.
The Astros have been here before in the playoffs. The 1980 loss to the Phillies was one where the team handed back a 2-1 series lead, losing two extra inning games to break the hearts of all of H-Town. But that was 35 years ago, when only Chad Qualls was alive. (And I guess Chad is not active for this round).
- Does Lance McCullers Jr. close this out tomorrow?
- Who will be the next unlikely hero for this team?
- Are you worried? Confident?
- What is the most important thing for this Astros team to do to close out the AL defending champions?