Spring is about to spring, so let’s review
A week from today, the Astros will be prettying up Minute Maid Park, Dallas Keuchel will be spiffying up his beard, and some players will be prepping for their first opening day in Houston.
Most fans and even media onlookers would suggest that the Astros have had a successful spring. The sentiment is largely upbeat with a dash of holding your breath and crossing your fingers, but presently, optimists outweigh pessimists.
As first-year manager A.J. Hinch makes the final whittles to his first Astros’ roster, we’re taking the pulse of fans and others who follow the blog. Some of the answers will be obvious and there may even be consensus on others. But, I’ve intentionally included some tougher questions to encourage diversity.
- From your perspective, who has been the biggest surprise of the spring?
- Biggest disappointment?
- Watch this guy, he’s going to have a breakout season!
- Oh yeah? Watch this guy, he could really bomb as early as April or May!
- These will require some homework, so here’s the stats from last year.
- With the excitement of this spring, I’d already forgotten about …
- Now that I’ve seen the 2015 roster, Houston won’t miss this guy as much as I originally thought.
- Other than Jose Altuve, name the player who will have the biggest impact on the 2015 team.
- Name the player most likely to be added to the long-term Dallas Keuchel/Altuve/George Springer nucleus in 2015.
- A.J. Hinch will be better than (former Astros’ manager), but not as good as (former Astros’ manager).
And, some either/or…
- He’s not necessarily projected as such, but which player is most likely to play in Houston in 2015: Carlos Correa, Mark Appel, Colin Moran, Joe Sclafani or Preston Tucker?
- If the Astros lose this player for a lengthy time, it could doom the season: Keuchel, Altuve, Springer, Chris Carter or someone else.
- As much as I hate to say it, I believe this guy’s days as an Astro are almost done: Matt Dominguez, Jon Singleton, Alex White or Villar?
- Other than Correa, which player are you most anxious to see playing in Houston, whether this year or next: Appel, Tucker, Asher Wojciechowski, Moran, Teoscar Hernandez or someone else?