So, this is just a quick one.
Over the past few weeks, Jeff Luhnow has made moves that really remake the Astros lineup. So, I thought I’d take a look at differences between what we saw last summer and what we should see on opening day.
One problem is deciding which lineup from 2014 to use, and what lineup — of so many potential lineups — to use from 2015. Well, as for 2014, I’ll use players in the most common lineup. For 2015, I’ll pick the lineup 1Oldpro posted Monday afternoon.
For simplicity sake, I’ll just compare OPS and K%. So, without any adieu, here is the final starting lineup from 2014.
- C. Jason Castro, .651 OPS, 32.5 K%
- 1B. Jon Singleton, .620 OPS, 43.2 K%
- 2B. Jose Altuve, .830 OPS, 8.5 K%
- 3B. Matt Dominguez, .586 OPS, 22.2 K%
- SS. Marwin Gonzalez, .727 OPS, 20.4 K%
- LF. Robbie Grossman, .670 OPS, 29.2 K%
- CF. Dexter Fowler, .774 OPS, 24.8 K%
- RF. George Springer, .804 OPS, 38.6 K%
- DH. ChrisCarter, .799 OPS, 35.9 K%
And, now a projected lineup from 2015.
- C. Castro, .651 OPS, 32.5 K%
- 1B. Singleton, .620 OPS, 43.2 K%
- 2B. Altuve, .830 OPS, 8.5 K%
- 3B. Luis Valbuena, .776 OPS, 23.6 K%
- SS. Jed Lowrie, .676 OPS, 15.7 K%
- LF. Evan Gattis, .810 OPS, 26.3 K%
- CF. Springer, .804 OPS, 38.6 K%
- RF. Jake Marisnick, .607 OPS, 30.3 K%
- DH. Carter, .799 OPS, 35.9 K%
So, a couple of observations about all this.
1. There are four sub-.700 OPSs on each lineup, but two of those in 2015 are Jed Lowrie, who should be able to bring his OPS back to his career average, which is .741 and Marisnick, who could be replaced by Grossman if his OPS doesn’t come up.
2. 2014 only came with half a season of Springer. But 2015 should give us a lot more of him.
3. If you average the 2015 OPS, the total is .730. The average of the 2014 OPS is .718. Again, that’s weighing in a lot more Springer and Fowler than the Astros actually got. And while Lowrie looks like a step down from Marwin Gonzalez, I think we can all agree Lowrie is an upgrade. Of course, that’s also counting a lot of Gattis for 2015 when he did not play a full season either.
4. So, is this a better lineup?