What they said, What they meant: The Draft and DDJ
Lots of juicy quotes in the last few weeks in the Astros Organization as we play another round of What they said, What they meant. All quotes are pulled from chron.com (spit!)
Let’s start off with two quotes related to Delino Deshields Jr. getting pulled from a Futures game for dogging it on a pop-up.
- What DDJ said – “It was just a pop up in the infield, man on first base. I just didn’t run the ball out. That’s all. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal, but to him it was and he pulled me, so that’s all I got to say.”
- What he meant – “These minor league managers are such bush leaguers. My dad played in the bigs. I know that 99% of the time the ball will get caught. Why wear myself out by following rules I do not agree with?”
- What DDJ’s manager Keith Bodie said – “I did not remove him from the game. He removed himself. We have rules. When you hit the ball in fair territory, you got to run the ball out. He didn’t run a ball out. He made a mistake. He’s going to learn from it. He’s going to be better from it. But, no, he’s not injured.”
- What he meant – “These are all kids and they all need to grow up. Some more than others. I don’t care what his dad did – I don’t care what his name is. I don’t care that he thinks he is a big deal. His butt is going to get sat down like everyone of these other players – heck – like my own kids would be if they pulled this on me. He can play the diva all he wants, but he still rides the bus with all these other guys and he needs to eat a big slice of humble pie.”
GM Jeff Luhnow speaking on the recent Preston Tucker promotion to OKC.
- What he said – “He’s done everything we’ve asked and more. When he first got to Double-A last year, he was focused on hitting. The power wasn’t there, but he wanted to make sure he was having the right approach. If you look at what’s happened this year, all of a sudden the power is exploding. But it’s coming at a low strikeout rate and a high walk rate. This is exactly the type of player that we’re hoping to draft and develop in the system.”
- What he did not say – but no doubt was thinking – “You may have noticed that Delino “I didn’t think it was that big of a deal” Deshields did not get this promotion. DDJ no doubt has more talent, but Tucker is doing everything he can to be a great teammate and a great player. “
- What he also did not say – but no doubt also was thinking – “Unlike alot of the guys left to us by the previous administration – Tucker is a low strikeout / high walk guy who is hitting for average and power. He is the poster boy for what we want to create around here. Human hitting machines.”
Jeff Luhnow on Brady Aiken, the high schooler taken 1st overall in the draft.
- What he said – “This is the most advanced high school pitcher I’ve ever seen in my entire career. He has command like I’ve never seen before. The reason he was (ranked) so high last year was because of his command and pitchability, and then his stuff took a tick up as he came into this year, and that’s when he just exploded.”
- What he meant – “People who have been paying attention – like Chip Bailey – may have noticed that we are focusing on command with our pitchers. Our mlb starting rotation is way better this year and that is tied to not walking folks and keeping that ball down in the zone. I could take a kid with a 100 mph arm, but that arm may be hanging by a thread. On top of that – fireballers without control are the source of some of the longest HRs you will ever see.”
Astros 2nd round pick – AJ Reed out of Kentucky, who led the NCAA’s in home runs – talking about not having to pitch anymore like he did in college.
- What he said – “My arm’s not going to hurt every day now, so that’s something that I’m excited about. It’s going to be different not pitching. Just focusing on hitting is a challenge, and I’m looking forward to it.”
- What he meant – “Did you see how hard it is to hit home runs with the new college bats? How many guys out there are cranking them like me? I loved helping my team with my pitching arm, but I will not miss icing it down and having the pain keep me up half the night. Get me onto a team and I’ll be knocking on the Astros’ door pretty quick.”
3rd round draft choice JD Davis out of Cal State – Fullerton after visiting the Astros’ clubhouse.
- What he said – “It’s an honor to walk in here, I would say. It’s a dream come true just seeing these big leaguers and this big league clubhouse. It’s probably 500 times better than Fullerton. Fullerton has a nice clubhouse, but it’s nowhere compared to the big leagues.”
- What he meant – “All those guys who cried when watching Kevin Costner say ‘Hey, dad, you want to have a catch’ know what I’m talking about. How many balls did my dad throw to me – hit to me – never dreaming I would make it to the bigs. This is the real ‘Field of Dreams’. I would never dishonor this opportunity or this game. I would never not run out a pop up just because I thought I was bigger than this game.”
Bonus Quote – Dallas Keuchel talking about hitting in upcoming interleague games
- What he said – “I don’t want to go out there and looking like an idiot, but I’m probably just going to go out there and sac bunt. That’s all I’m really worrying about. I’m not expecting to do anything with the bat hitting wise. I’m just going to try to go out there.”
- What he meant – (It is your turn – fill in the blank)