After the first walk-off home run of the season, the Astros have a better record now (31-37) than any other season after 68 games since 2010. If they aren’t careful, they could be approaching .500 at the halfway point of the season.
Here are some thoughts as the weekend gets underway. Feel free to join in and add your comments and complete the sentences.
- George Springer and Jon Singleton didn’t start the season in Houston. What a rookie of the year race that would have been!
- Jeff Luhnow didn’t fire Bo Porter when he had the chance. Now, he’s stuck with him for the season (yes, sarcasm intended).
- Lucas Harrell hasn’t been called up to pitch for the Diamondbacks while they’re playing the Astros.
- Chris Carter is only good for the long ball. Otherwise, he’d be the consummate DH for Houston. Can you say Dave Kingman?
- The Astros didn’t sign Jose Abreu in the off season! Imagine what a Springer-Singleton-Abreu middle of the order might have looked like.
If you would have told me…
- Six weeks ago that we’d be talking about .500 and possibly buying at the break, I’d have asked you to step slowly away from the Koolaid pitcher.
- Dallas Keuchel would be the staff ace by mid-June, it wouldn’t have totally surprised me. But if you’d said he’d also be on pace for 20 wins, now that’s a different story.
- A month ago that Keuchel, Springer or Chad Qualls might be All Star candidates, I’d have scoffed and walked away.
If there’s one thing I’d like to see, it’s…
- A Springer-Dexter Fowler–Preston Tucker outfield next month. With Domingo Santana at DH.
- The Astros on TV!
- Carlos Correa in Corpus Christi.
- Trade rumors swirling about the Astros and it not be about selling off veterans, but upgrading the major league team!
- One more of the future stars tied up for 3-5 years. Matt Dominguez? Springer? Jason Castro?
- Stay the add-a-player-a-month course. Who’s next? Michael Foltynewicz? Austin Wates?
I know it’s a pipe dream, but…
- Could the Astros actually be contenders to acquire major piece a la David Price or Adrian Beltre at the deadline? Nah.
- Is it possible the Astros could live up to Jim Crane’s prediction and finish over .500 this season?
- What are the chances the Astros reach 2 million in attendance?
- Might Houston once again become a baseball town before the Texans find their way again?
- Could this winter be the winter that the Astros are looking for that one player to get them to and over the top?