This month’s version of What They Said, What They Meant is written under much more palatable fan conditions as the Astros have won two series in a row and six of their last nine games. And they even are looking more like a real team and not such an embarrassment. Of course by the time this is published we could be in gloom and doom times again – but for one shining moment….
So a little reminder – here are some recent Astro related quotes taken from the chron.com (spit!) and their real meaning.
- What he said – “I talked to him down below in between the inning. I said, ‘You’ve struggled. It’s obvious. But we have the lead and I’m going to give you the opportunity to go out here and get three outs and secure this win and let the bullpen pick it up from there. Put the other four innings behind you. Put the command issues behind you and go out here and give me your best inning right now.’ He said, ‘you’ve got it skipper.’ He goes out there and it becomes stressful, so I walk out to the mound. I said, ‘What are you going to tell me to convince me to leave you in this game?’ He said, ‘Well you told me to get three outs before they score. They haven’t scored yet, and I’m going to get three outs.’ That is a good one.”
- What he meant – “Hey, when do my guys ever score 4 runs in the first to take the pressure off our own pitcher? And here the kid is throwing it away with lots of hits and lots of walks. But he is a great kid and he still has a 4-3 lead, so I want him to have a shot at winning it – so I send him out for the 5th and he gets in trouble again. I walk out to the mound thinking that I might have to pull him one out from being eligible for a win and he gives me that line – like he’s my 15 year old son who is telling me that he will finish that paper for English due tomorrow because it’s not midnight yet. Too damn funny – I had to leave him in and the kid gets the out and the win. Classic!”
Brad Peacock talking about that elusive 1st win that he picked up on Sunday.
- What he said – “I was hunting that first win. I knew right away they were going to score some runs for me today. They did, and it was awesome.”
- What he meant – “OK – maybe I was not so sure after Altuve and Springer started the game with hits – Fowler struck out, Springer got picked off and Matty D popped out. But after that the guys were awesome.”
Astros Scouting Director Mike Elias speaking about the first overall pick.
- What he said – “We have a group of candidates for the first pick we’re very excited about. We’re comfortable with the pool (for the first pick). There are a lot of different directions we can go. I personally feel good about all the options. All that said we haven’t decided what our favorite option is and what direction we want to pursue. I think we’re going to have to get together as a group and meet and discuss all these players before we know which direction.”
- What he meant – “Of course we know what we are going to do. But you could rub my grandma with raw meat and lower her into a crocodile pit and I’m not revealing anything but my name, rank and serial number.”
Porter on Chad Qualls new role
- What he said – “We have a lead in the ninth, Chad Qualls will get the ball. He’s really been good of late and actually looks like his velo is back. His heavy sinker has been working, ground ball after ground ball, so if we have a lead and he’s available, he’ll get the ball.”
- What he meant – “So, my closer by committee idea worked as good as my leaving the names off of the players jerseys. But I’m proud and I don’t actually want to straight out say that Chad Qualls is the one and only closer. Let’s just say that closer by committee has entered a new phase and Qualls is a committe of one.”
George Springer after hitting a 7th inning game tying homer that left the bat at 112 mph….
- What he said – “It’s obviously a big spot. I wasn’t really trying to hit a home run. It’s a huge win for the team.”
- What he meant – “Hell yes, I was trying to hit a home run. Heck, I’m taking home run swings in the 1st inning and with a duck on the pond I wanted to get us both home with one swat. You don’t have the ball leave the bat at 112 mph and leave the park in a microsecond by just trying to make contact. Man, that felt good!”
Dallas Keuchel (Part 1) about his team….
- What he said – “We’re pretty talented. We’re major league baseball players. … Guys like the Yankees and Red Sox, those guys, they were in a position we are at one point, so it’s all about getting your feet on the ground and moving.”
- What he meant – “Yes, I think we are talented. No I have not been partying with Jonathan Singleton lately. Yes, I might be using a bit of hyperbole after my first career complete game shutout. So, sue me.”
Dallas Keuchel (Part 2) about beating the Rangers….
- What he said – “I’d be lying if I said it didn’t feel good, especially against that type of lineup. We weren’t very good against the Rangers last year. I think we had two wins and one of them came on opening day. That’s how miserable we’ve been against them.”
- What he meant – I think he meant every word of it.
Tony Sipp (who has retired all 20 batters he has faced including 11 Ks) on coming to the Astros
- What he said – “Definitely wanted to make a good impression, but right now I think we’re just looking for wins. Just being able to kind of reassure the staff that you want to be the guy and the whole ‘pen in general — we want to be that strong point.”
- What he meant – “When the Astros picked me up and I looked up their bullpen stats – I suddenly felt giddy with no pressure. Even when I was pitching bad my ERA was way better than Williams, Cisnero, Fields, Chapman and Valdes. So – I decided to show up and let it rip and see what happens. I’m killing it. I want to stand on the bow of a boat and yell out, ‘I am the king of the world!’ All I need is Kate Winslet and things will be perfect.”
Bonus from the NY Times last January – a quote from Jeff Luhnow on the draft.
- What he said – “You hopefully don’t pick 1-1 very often, and when you do, success is defined by drafting and developing a franchise-type player – not just a regular, but somebody you can really build around. “
- What he meant – Dear readers – it is your turn to tell us what Jeff meant