What they said and what they really meant
by Dan Peschong
Based on popular demand (Chip asked me to do it and he is pretty popular – plus it is his blog and he can demand anything) – I am re-visiting a little feature called “What they said / What they meant”. There will be an actual quote from a person in the Astros organization followed by my translation into real English. All of the quotes have been pulled from chron.com (spit!).
Bo Porter after the Marlins outhit (18-3) and outscored (8-1) the Astros.
- What he said – “I felt like the at-bats were good at-bats at times. There were some at-bats where we really expanded the zone. And there were other at-bats where it seemed like we weren’t patient enough to get a good pitch to hit given the situation.”
- What he meant – “The guys were in mid-season form – unfortunately in mid-season last year they stunk. I’m just happy you didn’t ask me about the pitching.”
Jeff Luhnow talking about how the international pool of money for the Astros will shrink when they have the best team in the majors in five seasons…
- What he said: “Five years from now, when we have the lowest pool, we may think differently. But for right now, that’s our strategy (to stay within the pool limits). We know what everybody else is doing, or at least we try and find out as much as we can about what everybody else is doing, because it informs our tactics as well.”
- What he meant: I sure hope the Cardinals are watching this interview and can tell I am signalling by blinking my eyes in Morse Code. “Please take me back – you can give me a pay cut – make me a wandering minor league advisor – anything – but please take me back.”
Dallas Keuchel after giving up 13 hits and 7 runs in 4 IP against the Marlins
- What he said – “For sure, for sure,” he said when asked if his velocity was down. “Obviously I could tell throwing the fastball (for) the guys it was just like a beach ball coming up there today. But I’m not really too worried about velocity at this point right now. Now if it was late April, May I’d be kind of worried.”
- What he meant – “Come on guys, I’m in a death fight for the 5th spot in the worst rotation in the majors and I put up this stinker. I faced 25 guys and 13 get hits. Now they will all be asking me about my elbow and shoulder everytime I warm up. Damn!”
Bo Porter talking about a meet and greet with members of the Owner group
- What he said – “It was just a meet-and-greet. It wasn’t like a formal meeting when any particular person was talking. It was good to have all of our staff there and some members of the ownership group there. They had questions about spring training and the season. It was exciting.”
- What he meant – “Yes there is nothing more exciting than talking to a bunch of rich white guys who think they know my job better than I do. I feel like a Yugo salesman. I wish I could say, yes, the team sucks – you get what you pay for, Jack.”
- What he said – “I always say I would love to start, but like I’ve said before, it doesn’t matter what the situation is. As long as I go out there and help the team win in any way possible, whether it’s starting or relieving, I’ll do it.”
- What he meant – “Hey, I’m listed as 6′-3″ and 240 lbs and that was probably 20 or 30 lbs ago. I’ve thrown more than a 1000 innings in the minors and more than 700 up in the majors and believe me the food and the per diem are 10 times better up here. You can have me start games, end games or anywhere in between – whatever you want – just keep me up in the Big Show.”
Brett Oberholtzer after facing the minor leaguers in the morning rather than the Braves in a rain shortened afternoon game
- What he said – “I was getting a lot of swings and misses. That was a positive note regardless of if they’re minor-leaguers or not. I don’t think anybody got the ball in the outfield, which is a plus. Continued to work on my off-speed, which was a plus. And my fastball had good life. I was pretty happy.”
- What he meant – “Totally torn on this – yes, I’m glad I pitched well – but it is the kind of outing that could only hurt you and never help you. Of course, I could have pitched against the Braves and had my head handed to me. So – it was better than kissing my sister, but not a whole lot better.”
Bonus Quote – Audience Participation – I’ll let you loyal readers take a shot at interpreting what Jim Crane meant in this quote from before Comcast backed out of buying/supporting CSN.
- What he said – “Last I heard there was supposed to be something coming down this week on an offer. From our knowledge, we think Comcast is going to make an offer to either lend the network some more money to proceed, or put an offer out to both teams.”
- What he meant – (Your interpretation……)