Yep, cynical headline while wondering how many people are actually paying attention.
Left the house when the Astros were down 2-1. When I come back, it was 12-1 and I figured it was in the fifth or sixth. Only a few very random thoughts after watching the debacle of a baseball game tonight in Arlington.
- Maybe Jim Crane has actually done us all a favor by keeping games off television for most of this season.
- If Lucas Harrell wasn’t out of options, I’d drive him to Oklahoma City or maybe Corpus Christi myself.
- If baseball had a AAAA level, Houston could field one of the best teams in that league: Harrell, Wallace, Leblanc, Jimmy Paredes and …
- Would love to be a fly on the wall in Nolan Ryan‘s suite if Reid was in attendance.
- How many base hits does Jose Altuve have on balls that were actually out of the strike zone?
- Be honest: Were you remote-happy during the Astros-Rangers’ game? What were you flipping around to watch? (Maybe Steelers-Redskins?).
- It’s the time of year you hear about players “out for the rest of the season” due to injury (e.g. Marquis, Pujols). I’m guessing you’d like to nominate a couple of Astros to be “out for the rest of the season”.
- Why do the 2013 Astros make me start thinking of the worst-ever country music song titles?
- Yes, Jake Elmore pitched in the minors: all of 4 1/3 innings. Let the move-Elmore-to-the-rotation jokes begin.
- Finally, the Rangers outscored the Steelers 16-13.
And the answers to the stats’ quiz in the last entry:
- Walks: Chris Carter (53).
- Games played: Matt Dominguez (117).
- Doubles: Jason Castro (32).
- Runs scored: Castro (51).
- Innings pitched: Harrell (131).
- Highest K rate (pitchers with 45 IP minimum): Erik Bedard (8.2/9).
- Lowest BB rate (same minimum): Jordan Lyles (3.0/9).